
Grayden John Harold Sommer was born today!
He was born at 1:17 pm and weighed 7 lbs 14 oz and was 20 1/2 inches long.

We (well I) checked into the hospital last night at 8. It was a fairly uneventful night although I was having contractions and couldn't sleep. Gary got some sleep (don't let him tell you otherwise, he was snoring) but not a whole lot. This morning they started pictocin at 7 and I got my epidural shortly before that. The epidural was something sent to me from the Gods above. I had pain medication that gave me a little relief, but it wore off quickly and didn't completely make the pain go away. The epidural almost instantly numbed me from the waist down and I stopped yelling at Gary. =)
Labor progressed pretty quickly after that. I was able to sleep for awhile and we all were able to relax. Before anyone really knew what was going on my doctor was here and I was pushing and Grayden was born. He didn't come willingly or without a little drama though (just like his Mommy). There was concern that I would have to have an emergency C-Section because Grayden's heart rate was dropping with the contractions and every time I moved. Once we got past that and he made his debut my doctor said that the cord was wrapped around his neck.. twice. He also had meconium in the amniotic sack with him, so there had to be a neonatologist on hand after he was born to make sure he didn't breathe any of it in. So Gary missed out on cutting the cord, but the most important thing is that he was ok. Healthy, safe and with a nice set of lungs. =) He is also quite the eater. I gave him his very first bottle and he latched on right away. He also ate the entire two ounces. So he is definately our son!
So today our little family was completed. Gary and I finally got to meet our son. I didn't realize I could love one tiny little human so much. It's very surreal to actually watch him sleep in his bassinette. It seems like so long ago that we saw two pink lines on the pregnancy test. And now we actually get to hold him. It's amazing. I'm looking forward to going home and introducing Grayden to his much furrier older brothers. They're going to be excited to meet him. All in all today was the best day EVER. =)And here's our first family photo....

I'll probably make a separate post of more pictures in the next day or two so everyone can see what he looks like NOT swaddled in hospital blankets. =)
Well done Kim & Gary!!
ReplyDeleteGrayden is such a beautiful boy..
Congratulations!
Luanne,Dennis,Marc&Jenna Mazzoni