Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Courage of Detroit

Ohhh look.. non baby related things! =)

I was sent this article today and although I'm not generally a fan of Mitch Albom I think this is one of the best articles I've ever read from him. It was in Sports Illustrated this past Wednesday I believe. It has less to do with sports than it does with the spirit of Detroit and Michigan.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/the_bonus/01/07/detroit/index.html


Even though Gary and I now live in the Houston suburbs, Michigan and Detroit will always be home. I hope that one day the economy will recover and we will be able to move back. I want our kids to be able to experience all of the great things that we love so much about where we grew up. I want them to see snow, and the Woodward Dream Cruise, and the excitement of the city when the Tigers make it back to the World Series. I want them to wake up at the crack of dawn on Thanksgiving day when it feels like 40 below and see the Thanksgiving Day Parade and watch the Turkey Trot. I want them to know what a REAL coney dog is =)

I talk all the time about "when we move back". Gary always brings me back to reality and reminds me that it's going to be awhile, if at all, until we're able to move home. I know he's right, and right now Houston is the best place for Gary and I and our new family to be. We have opportunities here that just wouldn't be available to us in Michigan. Don't get me wrong, I really do like it here and I think that besides getting married, moving to Houston was the best decision we have made. It has given us an opportunity to start our own, independent lives. We've learned a lot about each other, and ourselves. I 100% with all of my being believe that moving helped us have a baby. The stresses of our former lives took a toll on both of us and our ability to get pregnant. We're experiencing a different climate (it was 78 yesterday), a different culture, and making new friends. Gary has an amazing job that is allowing him to travel on the career path he planned out for himself long before he met me and I'm thankful that he has been given the opportunity to do that.

But as wonderful as our lives are here in Houston, Michigan is always going to be our home. Where we were born and raised. And where we hope to come back to someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment