Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Grayden's first vacation

I couldn't blog about Grayden and I coming up to Michigan on a surprise visit because, well that would ruin the surprise. =) But a few weeks ago now Gary and I were at lunch talking about how sad it makes us that our families can't be a bigger part of Grayden's life. Moving to Houston was the best thing that we could have done for our family, but it also has it's consequences.

So we decided that Sunday at lunch that we would check into airfare for Grayden and I to go home to visit. We were thinking that in a few weeks I would go back for a week long vacation, just Grayden and I. Once we got home and started researching flights I discovered that a) it was Spring Break time b) airlines rip you off and c) if I was going home I was leaving the following Monday and staying for 10 days.

Once that was decided I had to call my step mom Cindy to make sure she could pick me up from the airport. That's when my vacation turned into one giant surprise. Considering I have a big mouth and really can't keep ANYTHING a secret (I gave Gary his birthday present a week early last year because I was so excited about it) I'm proud that I was able to keep my trip mostly a secret.

I spent the next week planning how in the world I would take everything I needed to take, coordinating with Cindy and my friend Elyse on things I would need to borrow, digging sweaters out of Rubbermaid tubs in the garage and praying to God Grayden didn't scream the entire flight. It was a busy week to say the least!

Now I think I should give you a little background. Fist of all, in general, I am an emotional basket case 99% of the time. I can cry at almost the drop of a hat, I am very passionate and just a general all around girl when it comes to most things. Secondly, I have never traveled on a plane by myself. I've just never had an occasion where I needed to go somewhere without someone else, despite that being one of the things on my "list of things to do before I die" (side note: that entry on my list did NOT say travel alone.. with an infant). Thirdly, I have an unnatural and sick attachment to my stuff and I feel the need to take all of it with me every time I go away. Fourthly, Gary and I have never spent more than one night apart for the better part of our relationship.

So here's where it gets good. I got up at 3 am the day I left. The night before I had Gary pick up my suitcase to try to guess if it weighed more than 50 lbs. He said I was good to go. I had to add a few last minute things to my suitcase and my carry-on filled with Grayden's things. By 430 am suitcases were zipped, everyone was dressed and we were ready to walk out the door. Much to my surprise I didn't cry when I said goodbye to my doggies. Traffic was light and we made it to the airport in about 40 minutes. Those 40 minutes were spent by me, staring out the window, trying not to be hysterical (please refer back to the part where Gary and I have never spent more than a night apart) because oh.my.gosh 10 days is a long time and I was completely convinced that Gary would never be able to survive without me and my dogs would be feeding off of coffee grounds and aluminum foil by the time I got home.

Fast forward to inside the airport and Gary throwing my "holy crap Kim what did you put in here" suitcase up on the scale. 50.5 lbs. Awesome. Gary was kneeling on the floor shuffling things around trying to make my suitcase not cost more than my plane ticket and I was.... standing there watching. Just standing there trying not to cry still and also trying to figure out what of my precious prize possessions I could possibly do without (the list was short with exactly 0 things on it) when Gary somehow got my suitcase to 49.5 lbs and only removing one pink sweater. A pink sweater I'm sure he proudly carried out of the airport.

We proceeded to the line to go through security where everything promptly went downhill. Gary was going to stand in line with me, Grayden and my 3 bags until he couldn't go any further. The line was longish, so I thought we had plenty of time. Gary was saying goodbye to Grayden, I was frantically making sure I had everything and then... it was my turn to go through security. Because I was so busy worrying about everything else, and Gary was busy saying goodbye to Grayden we never had a chance to say goodbye to each other. I gave Gary a quick kiss, burst into tears and proceeded through security.

At security, on my way to the x-ray machine I nearly ran over a kid with my stroller. The next few minutes were me, hysterical, trying to get myself, my son, a car seat, a stroller, a diaper bag, a laptop, and a carry on suitcase through the x-ray machine. I would like to give all of you newish parents, or the ones that haven't traveled with your kids through an airport a little PSA... DON'T TAKE SO MUCH CRAP WITH YOU. Seriously. What the hell was I thinking???

The next (what seemed like eternity) 10 minutes were me wrestling everything I managed to get ON the x-ray machine OFF the x-ray machine, back in working/organized order and over to the NEXT super sophisticated, zillion dollar piece of equipment that would make sure that my baby bottles weren't filled with gasoline and matches. Thankfully (I think) I looked exactly what a stressed out, emotional, freak of a new mother should look like, and not a terrorist so the lovely TSA agent was very nice and helpful and she let me go with the minimum amount of checking.

Another first time/newish parent bonus: You get to board the plane first. That's right. Head of the line. Numero uno. The flight attendant was very helpful in the sense that she held Grayden and watched me while I schlepped all of my stuff on board and up into the overhead bins. I got seated, settled and...... sat there. FOR.EV.ER. One more tip: take about 40 magazines to read while you wait for all of the other passengers to board the plane. You can only pray your kid doesn't wake up and start screaming for so long before you start to think you're getting on God's nerves.

Long story... long... Grayden slept nearly the entire flight. He woke up shortly before we started landing, ate and promptly fell back asleep. He also got his wings and a certificate from the pilot that tells what kind of plane his first flight was on. Cool stuff.

Since I have already rambled on and on I will keep the rest of this short. Grayden got to meet all sorts of people on our vacation. He met Granddad and G'ma Cindy, Grandpa Tom, Great Grandma and Grandpa Norrow, Great Grandma Mary, Uncle Nick and his cousin Nico, cousins Mary Jen, Kaitlyn and Madison, Mr. and Mrs. Chase, Aunt Jen, Aunt Sarah and Aunt Elyse, his new best friend Graham, Uncle Jim, cousin Sarah, Mark and Tim, Aunt Marilyn, "Grandma" Joyce and "Grandpa" Dick and lots more people that I'm forgetting at this very second. He also got to see his Grandmas Connie and Patty again, Uncle Justin and Stephanie. It was a very busy trip!!

I have lots of pictures to post, which I will do in a separate blog entry.

Thank you to everyone who helped Grayden and I pull off our surprise and everyone that helped me with places to stay, supplies, cars, and everything else that you all did for us. Your help was much appreciated!!!!!

A special thank you to Elyse and Sarah. Thank you for being such amazing friends. I am so glad we were able to spend the time we did together, I only wish it could have been longer. I really needed some best friend time, and I'm so thankful that you both arranged your work schedules just to spend time with me and G. I miss you both lots!

And the biggest thank you to Gary for deciding that little G and I needed to go home, even if it was without you, and making that trip happen. I'm a lucky girl. Love you!!

Ok... keep your eyes peeled for the pictures.. they're coming. I promise!!! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment